Wednesday, August 31, 2011

La Roche-Posay Anthelios Sunscreens Review


Summer in Canada is drawing to a close, but protecting your skin from damaging UV rays should be an year round consideration. La Roche-Posay kindly sent Beauty Squared some of their newest line of sunscreen - the Anthelios with Mexoryl XL face and body cream.

Anthelios with Mexoryl is high protection UVA-UVB sunscreen and comes in eight products. Click on the above link to see the full line.

The products that we were sent were the Anthelios XL Ultra-Fluid Lotion in SPF 60 for face and the Anthelios XL for sun sensitive skin. Both are made with the patented Mexoryl technology and other UV blocking properties and have been rigorously formulated to provide excellent protection.

Both claim to be non-greasy, easily absorbed and gentle on sensitive skin. I used both for a few weeks in July and August to test them. 


Anthelios XL with Mexoryl XL Face and Body Cream

Anthelios XL with Mexoryl XL Face and Body Cream

Anthelios XL with Mexoryl XL Face and Body Cream

Anthelios XL with Mexoryl XL Face and Body Cream swatched

Start of application.

Worked into skin completely. 
The Anthelios XL Face and Body Cream I only used on my body as I found the consistency too thick for use on my face. I wear some make-up most days so I need a sunscreen that is imperceptible on my skin. 

I applied the sunscreen mainly on my shoulders, throat, chest and arms and on the tops of my feet and legs. I tend to wear sleeveless, open neck dresses and tops and skirts in the summer. I have fair skin that burns quite easily and quickly so I was eager to try a higher-end sunscreen. 

Studies show that an SPF of 30 is the highest you need and provides 97% of UV rays. Wearing anything higher isn't really protecting you better but if it means more reassurance if you burn like I do, go for it. Just don't spend a tonne more money on an SPF 60 if you don't need it.

The Face and Body Cream if applied lightly does go on quite silkily but if you go a bit heavy with your application, it's heavy, shiny and tacky. One of the pet peeves about sunscreen is that it's tacky and since it has to sit on the surface of the skin, it gets on your clothes and is greasy and unpleasant. 


With the La Roche Posay Face and Body Cream, if you apply it lightly and thoroughly about 20 minutes prior to getting dressed, you should be ok. You won't leave greasy marks on the couch or on walls this way.


It was an effective sunscreen. Only when I forgot to reapply did I get some colour to my skin.

I was most impressed with the La Roche-Posay Ultra-Fluid Lotion. Finding a sunscreen you can wear on your face under makeup is tough. Sunscreen has to sit on the surface of your skin with minimal absorption in order to be effective. This doesn't tend to work well with makeup products. It can also feel quite heavy on the skin, which isn't appealing at all.

This wasn't the case with the Ultra-Fluid Lotion. 

Anthelios XL Ultra-Fluid Lotion in SPF 60

Anthelios XL Ultra-Fluid Lotion in SPF 60

Anthelios XL Ultra-Fluid Lotion in SPF 60

Anthelios XL Ultra-Fluid Lotion in SPF 60


Anthelios XL Ultra-Fluid Lotion in SPF 60, swatched

Start of application
Worked in completely

The Ultra-Fluid lotion has a light, almost liquid texture, goes on very nicely and while it's slightly visible once applied, it's not tacky and shiny and heavy like so many sunscreens. Putting make-up on top isn't a problem at all and it doesn't absorb it either. I forgot I was wearing it, it felt so light on. 

I did not get any colour on my face all summer, thanks to this sunscreen. I actually bought a second bottle and plan to wear it all year round. 

Do you wear sunscreen in the summer? All year? Have you tried the La Roche-Posay sunscreens? 

C.

No comments:

Post a Comment