Friday, February 10, 2012

Shop MAC Cook MAC Lipsticks Review and Swatches


For the first part of my Shop MAC, Cook MAC haul I have three of the five LE lipsticks for review. If the popularity of the lipstick shades featured in Shop/Cook and the Iris Apfel collections are any indication, bright bold lipstick is the look right now. I actually had to spend 1.5 hours going to and from the mall to go to the last freestanding MAC store that still had all the shades I wanted in stock. The store I usually frequent (which is much closer) had already sold out of Watch Me Simmer by noon on Thursday - the same day the collection launched!


I picked up three shades: Dish it Up (Lustre), Quick Sizzle (Matte) and Watch Me Simmer (Amplified). All shades are LE and as of checking Thursday night, sold out online ($17.50 CA/14.50 US). Product photo taken with flash, swatch photo no flash on NC 35/40 skin.



 Dish it Up (Lustre), Quick Sizzle (Matte) and Watch Me Simmer (Amplified). 


Dish it Up (Lustre), Quick Sizzle (Matte) and Watch Me Simmer (Amplified). 

Dish it Up - a medium toned pink/plum lipstick with a lustre finish. It has unusually good colour payoff for a lustre and while it offers a definite pop of blue based pink, it has a softness to it that makes it very wearable.

Quick Sizzle - a super bright, intense blue based fuschia with a matte finish. It has a fairly smooth creamy finish for a matte and is not dry or uncomfortable to wear. Definitely a statement lip colour! One thing to watch with this lipstick is it tends to stain the lips.

Watch Me Simmer - a bright orange coral in the amplified finish formula. Unlike Quick Sizzle, this shade has a slight glossy, satin finish. Another super bright intense shade!

At first, I wasn't very interested in Quick Sizzle and Watch Me Simmer. I have very full lips and so I often skip bright lipsticks to avoid looking like I have a neon sign plastered on my face. To my surprise Quick Sizzle has turned out to be my favourite of the three. It's not a shade I would wear on a day to day basis, but the colour is so pure and intense it's amazing. The pigmentation is so strong what you see in the tube is what you will see on your lips.

For those not ready to make the bold lip statement, Dish it Up offers some fun colour at a lower volume. Another great way to wear these bright shades would be to mix them with clear gloss to tone down their intensity.

The first two shades to sell out online (before the collection was in stores) were Quick Sizzle and Watch Me Simmer. If you missed out on these and really want them, I suggest you call MAC's customer service just to double check that they really truly sold out. Or give your local store a call stat!

J

No comments:

Post a Comment