Tuesday, January 11, 2011

EOTD: Smoky Purple and Blue


One of the Venomous Villains pieces I bought back in the fall was the Maleficent Mineralize eyeshadow in My Dark Magic. I love its swirls of pink and purple and grey and black and blue and of course, its shimmer. But it sat untouched for a while because I didn't know how to use it. 

Close-up of My Dark Magic
But I finally did one evening when I was going out and loved it on my eyes so I thought I'd share it with you. Here's an impromptu shot I took via Photo Booth on my Macbook.



And here's the recreation of the look taken with a better camera. Please ignore my right eye as it is done in a different look. My right eye look can be see here.



Here are some close-ups of my eye look. Please note that the intensity of the look is diminished by the flash on my camera. Shimmer as well as pigmentation is reduced and when looking at this look with the naked eye, the look is much more intense. I love you, camera flash, but why must you make my makeup look so much more diminished?









Products used:
Base: 
  • Olay Total Effects 7-in-1 Anti-Aging Moisturizer
  • Lush Colour Supplement in Light Yellow (foundation)
  • MAC Studio Sculpt Concealer in NC20 
  • Korres Wild Rose Compact Power Brightening/Flawless Finish in WRP1
I like my base products to be to be somewhat glowy and natural-looking. I don't mind if there is some redness or discolouration showing through as long as most of it is covered but I don't look like I'm wearing a mask. My brows I left natural, although if I was wearing this look out I would've used a burgundy eyeshadow to help them match my hair colour better.

Eyes:
  • MAC My Dark Magic Mineralize Eyeshadow from the Venomous Villains collection (Fall 2010)
My Dark Magic Mineralize Eyeshadow and brushes used
The beauty of the Mineralize eyeshadows is that you can use the entire blend of colour or just use parts of the blend, like just the plum pockets, just the pink pockets or just the dark blue-black of My Dark Magic. I swirled a thick eyeshadow brush all over the eyeshadow to get a blend of all the colours and smudged it onto my lid, heavily from the lashline to the crease. I used a broad, flatter brush to blend it up above my crease and also to smudge it all the way along my lower lashline, working it right into my lashes. I then used bits of pink and purple specifically to smudge onto my eyelid, to intensify the colour and add dimension. Why not, eh?
  • Urban Decay 24/7 Glide-On Eye Pencil in Ransom
  • MAC Pearlglide Intense Eye Liner in Industrial

L-R: Urban Decay 24-7 Eye Pencil in Ransom and MAC Pearlglide eyeliner in Industrial
I used Industrial, a metallic periwinkle blue (swatches and another look using it here), along my top lashline, smudging it into my lashes and layering it to get a good colour. With my broad flat brush I smudged it further but not too much, as brushing the Pearlglide shadows can diminish their shimmer. 

I used Ransom, a very pretty bright iridescent purple, along my lower lashline on top of the smudged My Dark Magic, as well as in my waterline.  The same flat, broad brush was used to smudge it further.

My mascara is Benefit Bad Girl, multiple coats for lots of thickness and length.

Cheeks:
  • MAC Sheertone Blush in Pink Swoon  
  • MAC Mineralize Skin Finish in Soft and Gentle

L-R: Pink Swoon blush and Soft and Gentle Mineralize Skin Finish
I applied Pink Swoon, a very pretty, bright, sheer pink blush on the apples of my cheeks and used Soft and Gentle Mineralize Skin Finish on the tops of my cheekbones and swirled in a half-circle up along my eye socket and onto my brow bone.

Lips:
  • MAC Frost Lipstick in Costa Chic
  • BareMinerals Lipgloss in Birthday Cake

L-R: Birthday Cake gloss and Costa Chic lipstick


For my lips, I wanted definition and some colour but mostly shine. When you've got heavy eye make-up you want to keep the rest of your makeup soft. A touch of colour and shimmer on my cheeks and lips is all I need. I applied Costa Chic lightly, blotted it and then topped it with some Birthday Cake, which despite its colour is quite sheer and a very pretty easy-to-wear shade.



So there you have it, my smoky purple and blue EOTD. 

Let me know what you think!

C.

No comments:

Post a Comment