Saturday, July 3, 2010

LUSH Colour Supplements

Oh LUSH. You wacky, wonderful, inconsistent oddball of a company, you. I used to work for LUSH, years ago and it didn't end well so I found that my love of their products faded pretty rapidly as well. I do buy their bath bombs for a friend's kids at Christmas every year though.


In the UK, LUSH had opened a sister store called B Never Too Busy To Be Beautiful which carried make-up and fragrances but it closed in 2009. Luckily, LUSH appears to be incorporating some of the products that BNTBTBB carried into its regular stores and mailorder business. 

When I discovered that local LUSH stores were carrying a new foundationy cream colour I headed straight out to snap one up. They're called Colour Supplements and here's what www.lush.ca has to say about them: 

Perfect for giving an even, flawless look to your skin; these little beauties will cover up the odd blemish and tone down any redness. They can be used by themselves as a normal foundation for more concentrated coverage, or they can be mixed with our beautiful moisturizers to give a lighter, more dewy complexion. Made with red rose petal infusion to calm redness and glycerine to help your skin retain moisture, these mineral oil-free Colour Supplements do lovely things for your skin.

They also contain soya oil, rice brain and titanium oxide. LUSH explains the ingredients for all of its products on its website.





They are $13.95 CDN and come in 20g glass containers (the size of some lip balms) and four colours - light pink, dark pink, light yellow and dark yellow. These colours cover most skintones but won't work on darker skin which is disappointing. Obviously, if one of these shades won't work for your skintone, you can buy two and blend them.

The shades work as follows:
Light pink = pale or pink complexions
Light yellow = porcelain complexions
Dark pink = dark pink complexions
Dark yellow = dark olive complexions

I chose the light yellow shade. 





The texture is smooth and creamy.

Smeared on the back of my hand.

Blended a bit into the back of my hand.

Almost fully blended out.


The scent is very, very mild which is a surprise considering it's from LUSH. The scent I get most from it was rose which isn't unpleasant at all.


In the following photos I am wearing it all over my face. Beneath it I am wearing Kiehl's Ultra Tinted Moisturizer in Fair and on top of it I used Bare Escentuals Mineral Veil.


In natural light.

With flash.

The foundation wore quite well all day, although it was an abnormally non-humid  day. Normally, my skin gets oily quite quickly and my make-up begins to melt, but today, the Colour Supplement worked well. 


My skin did not feel dry or overly slick. I'm not used to using a cream or a liquid foundation so this took a little time to apply and I used my fingers to do so. It'd undoubtedly work better with a foundation brush. To minimize contamination, using a foundation brush rather than your fingers to dip into the container would be ideal.


LUSH suggests the Colour Supplements could be used as concealer as well as foundation, but I find the consistency of the product is pretty thin. I use MAC's Studio Finish concealer on a daily basis so the Colour Supplement just didn't cut it for me. It could cover some slight under-eye discolouration and redness though.


LUSH Colour Supplements can be blended with your moisturizer for a more dewy, sheer coverage. This product would be good for anyone looking for an easy, sheer, good-for-your-skin cream foundation. If you're a fan of LUSH, obviously this is a no-brainer, you're going to try it!


Have you tried the LUSH Colour Supplements? What do you think?


C.

2 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It looks very pretty! Definitly going to try it! Thanks for the review!

    -S

    ReplyDelete