Thursday, September 19, 2013

Simple FOTD with Full Brows and Red Lips



I thought I might share with you the makeup I've been wearing almost every day lately. The temperatures have dropped lately and it feels like fall, finally, so that means we can pull out our red and plum lip colours. Another thing that tends to become in fashion in fall is fuller brows. Partly I think this is due to the fact that with cooler temperatures, makeup isn't prone to melting off the skin as much and we can get away with wearing a bit more.

This look was inspired by a few makeup tutorials I watched about fuller brows and Cara Delevingne, the latest supermodel de jour/It Girl. Cara rocks a tomboy look, and has naturally dark, full brows which contrast perfectly with her blonde hair. Everyone is clamouring to mimic her.

Me wearing this look lately is also due to the fact that I'm taking a break from wearing my contact lenses. It's been an adjustment to wear my glasses every day, especially when it comes to wearing makeup. My prescription is high and I'm very near sighted, so my glasses make my eyes look smaller. It's tempting to wear dark make-up on my eyes to make them stand out behind my glasses but that can make them look smaller. It's also pretty tough to get a decent liquid liner flick (my usual daily eye look) due to my poor vision. I also don't feel as cute when I'm wearing my glasses, so I don't want to get lazy and give up my regular makeup routine, and I want to do something that makes me feel cute despite the glasses.

So that means focusing on my eyebrows, lips and cheeks!


This look is very, very simple. My base is some primer (Benefit Porefessional) on my nose, beside my nose, my chin and forehead, Urban Decay's Eye Primer on my eyelids, and a BB cream (Garnier) mixed with a bit of liquid concealer (Vasanti) for the redder areas. I used a heavier cream concealer (OCC) to cover up the dark circles under my eyes and powdered with Pari's Mineral Glow to set where needed on my T-zone and under my eyes

I used two eyeshadows to fill in my brows and used the same shadows on my eyes - MAC Embark and MAC Wedge (pictured below). Embark is a warm brown-red and Wedge is neutral beigey shade. First, I combed my brows up using a clean mascara wand, and then, using a small, dense angle brush, I filled in my brows with Embark, working in short, soft strokes and sticking pretty close to the natural shape of my brows, but going slightly above and below to thicken them. I combed through my brows periodically to soften the colour and make sure they weren't looking too solid. 

I then went through the same brush and a little bit of Wedge, just to lighten my brows slightly. I also used Wedge on top of Embark where it was above and below my brows, to soften the shade. I wanted it to look as natural as possible, so I brushed through my brows frequently as well.

Finally, I set them using a clear brow gel (Anastasia), combing my brow hairs up while applying. Did you know you can use a clear mascara as a brow gel? Save yourself some cash!


I used a fluffy crease brush (Real Techniques) to apply Wedge (it makes a fantastic crease colour) to my crease, focusing on the outer corner and pulling it towards the nose oh-so-slightly. I also applied Wedge below my eyes, for a slight shadowy effect. 


With an angle brush, I smudged Embark along my upper lash line, flicking it slightly out at the corner and smudging the line slightly for a smoky effect. It's a VERY subtle, soft eye look, barely there. 

I curled my lashes using my Shu Uemera eyelash curler and applied L'Oreal Voluminous Mascara in Black. This mascara is quite natural, despite the name and it's easy to apply just a little without making it look heavy and thick. 


On my cheeks, I applied MAC's Mineralize Blush in Warmth of Coral softly at the outer edges of my cheeks with a fluffy blush, sweeping it in towards my nose, slightly. I wanted a hint of colour, and definition, so I also used a denser blush brush to apply the colour along the contour line of my cheek. 


Finally, I applied MAC's Absolute Power directly from the tube only my lips. It was a limited edition shade that Jill accidentally bought two of so I got one. It looks a heck of a lot more purple and deep in the tube, but on, it's a spectacular red. It stains a lot, which I kind of like because when it's gone, you're not bare-lipped. No makeup-makeup!

This look can be worn without a dramatic lip colour, of course. And I do for day. I just increase my blush and use a pretty rose colour on my lips, such as MAC's Gem of Roses. 

And here's the look with my glasses on. I like that this look defines my eyes, brows and cheeks slightly, in a way that doesn't have them competing for the spotlight. And I can't get enough of this gorgeous, gorgeous red lipstick!


Products used (base products not pictured):.
Top Row L-R: MAC Embark eyeshadow, MAC Wedge eyeshadow, MAC Mineralize Blush in Warmth of Coral
Below: L'Oreal Voluminous Mascara, Anastasia Brow Gel (sample size), MAC Absolute Power lipstick


So there you have my current, cooler-weather, Cara Delevingne-inspired FOTD. Let me know what you think in the comments! What's your cooler-weather look? 

C.

2 comments:

  1. LOVE it! That red lipstick is stunning on you! I love your glasses! I think you look amazing in them! I'm the complete opposite-I always wear my glasses. It's so dry in Alberta, so my eyes get so irritated. My glasses aren't rimmed all the way around though, so you can really see my eye makeup all the time and I just wear whatever I feel like!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you Tracy! Absolute Power is an incredible red. Why it's not in the permanent collection, I have no clue.

    I'm about set for a new pair of glasses and a friend has suggested I look for a great pair of vintage frames. Maybe that'll help! It's done it for her.

    Catherine

    ReplyDelete