Monday, October 21, 2013

Goldeneye: Two Gold Eye Look Ideas and FOTDs

I've been really into wearing gold on my eyes lately. Typically, I prefer silver and copper as colours over gold, in jewellery, clothing and in general, but ever since falling in love with the Make Up For Ever Eye Pencil #20, a sort of antiquey gold. I wear it as a very simple liner on days when I want to go natural. It enhances the eye in a very subtle way, adding a lightness and sheen. Sometimes I line my eye, top and bottom, and sometimes just to the top.  

I really liked the effect this soft antiquey gold shade had on my skin and my eyes, so thought I'd show you a few ways I've come up with to wear gold on my eyes. 

The first look is one I love to wear with a red lip. With a red (or any bold shade) lip colour, you want to keep the rest of your makeup simple. I'm the queen of keeping my makeup simple, so here is a very simple look using OCC's Loose Colour Concentrate in Flawed (my review of it is here). It's a similar shade to the MUFE pencil, an antiquey gold-bronze. 


How's using only two eye colours for keeping it simple? Yup, I've got MAC's Wedge eyeshadow on my eyelid and smudged a bit heavier through my crease with Flawed pressed on top of my lid, as well as beneath my eye. The Wedge helps to give a bit of definition to the look. Since my eye look would be so simple, I used quite a bit of Flawed so the colour would really pop without looking too dramatic. I warmth of the shade flatters my eye colour as well. I applied MAC eye Kohl in Powersurge (another shimmery gold-bronze shade) on my waterline for more subtle definition. Tip: Powersurge Eye Kohl is fantastic for the waterline. It defines without closing in the eye like a black will.

*All products used in this and the following look were photographed together and the photo can be found at the end of this post. 


I applied Sephora's Advanced Lash Booster mascara to my top lashes and Clinique's Bottom Lash Mascara to my lower lashes. 


I wanted to keep my brows soft, so I used Wedge to fill them in and fill them out slightly, finishing them with Anastasia's clear brow gel. 


Oh, my base is Hourglass Immaculate Liquid Powder Foundation in Vanilla (see my review here), and a combination of OCC Skin Conceal in Y1 and MAC Select Cover-Up in NW20 under my eyes and on any red areas. I set the concealer with Ben Nye Neutral Set powder. 

On my cheeks is MAC The Perfect Cheek from the Marilyn collection - brushed beneath my cheekbones to contour. I wanted definition to keep my skin as clean as possible, and to allow the lips to take center stage. I did want to perk up my skin though (the Immaculate foundation is problematic on me - see my review) so I brushed MAC Mineralize Skinfinish Powder in Soft and Gentle to my cheekbones. It gives a subtle sheen and glow to the skin. 

On my lips is OCC Lip Tar in Vintage (see my review here), blotted down considerably so it's a bright red, not the deeper wine tone it can be. 


I really like the sophistication of this look. The gold makes it a little more playful, as does my fascinator which I don't wear enough.

The second golden eye look I wanted to show a less glam, retro look. This one is more colourful and playful but still simple and wearable. Again, I photographed the products I used for both these looks and that photo can be found at the very bottom of this post.

For this look, I started with the look above and added to it, but I did brush away most of the Flawed I was wearing on my eyes first as well as remove Vintage from my lips.


On my eyes, I layered MAC Solar Bits in Scatterrays. Solar Bits are "pearlized pigment clusters" which can be challenging to wear. Jill has said about MAC's crushed metallic pigments (see a review here) that they're not terribly usable, but they're SO PRETTY. It's true for Solar Bits as well. But I endeavour to not waste product by not using it and I wanted a very wearable gold shade for this look, Scatterrays is a "soft metallic peach with gold shimmer" so it's got pink and peach tones to it as well as the gold.

With a bit of MAC Mixing Medium on my brush, I dipped it into the Scatterrays and then patted it over my eyelid, focusing on just the lid area and sweeping it up into the crease. 


Then I used Urban Decay 24/7 Glide-On Eye Pencil in Rockstar - a dark purple - to line my eyes. On top, I smudged some MAC Mineralize Eyeshadow in My Dark Magic (see a post featuring it here) to deepen the effect. 


Using some Duo eyelash glue, I applied Benefit's Big Spender eyelashes. These lashes are super-cool but very stiff. I really needed to work them to get them to soften enough to fit the curve of my eyelids. They are thick lashes, but not crazy-long and they're angled out, so they give less of a doe-eyed look and more of a coy look.

After the glue had set on these, I smudged a bit more of My Dark Magic along my upper lash line. 

On my cheeks, I added some MAC Mineralize Blush in Warmth of Coral - a blend of coral and peach tones, and some more Soft and Gentle on top for a warm glow.

On my lips, I applied MAC Partial to Pink Cremesheen Gloss - golden pink creamy gloss. Since Vintage had stained my lips a little, the gloss looks a bit orange-y but works really well with the overall look. 


I really liked both of these looks and was kind of amazed at how different one is from the other.

Sophisticated Gold Eyes with Red Lips: bottom, clockwise starting at the top right: MAC Eyeshadow in Wedge, OCC Loose Colour Concentrate in Flawed, Sephora Advanced Lash Booster Mascara, Clinique Bottom Lash Mascara, MAC Eye Kohl in Powersurge, Shu Uemura Eyelash Curler, OCC Lip Tar in Vintage, MAC Mineralize Skinfinish in Soft and Gentle and MAC Blush in The Perfect Cheek.

Purple-Gold Eye Look - top row, clockwise starting at the top right: Benefit Big Spender lashes, Duo Lash Glue, MAC Cremesheen Gloss in Partial to Pink, Urban Decay 24/7 Eye Pencil in Ransom.
How do you like to wear gold on your eyes?

C.

No comments:

Post a Comment