Friday, June 20, 2014

Soft, Sultry Music Festival Smoky Eye



This is a quick look I did to go to day one of the Field Trip music festival at Toronto's Fort York a few weekends ago. I wanted something smoky but appropriate for an outdoor music festival in the summer. I chose bronzes and warm browns tones.

This look photographed less dramatically than it was in real life but it's still really pretty and sultry, I think.

Since I was going to be outside and it was a warm day, I applied MAC Fluidline in Rich Ground to my eyelids. It is a beautiful rich metallic bronze shade that is key to this look, even though it's not terribly visible. It acted like a primer, keeping my shadow from melting and defecting into my crease. My eyeshadow was completely intact all day. 



Next I smudged Bare Escentuals Sex Kitten eyeshadow on the inner and outer corners of my eyelid, through the crease, but leaving space in the very centre of the lid. Sex Kitten is a gorgeous warm shimmery red-brown. 


On top of that, I smudged MAC's Satin Taupe eyeshadow. Satin Taupe is one of my favourite eyeshadows, a warm purpley-silver bronze that is incredibly flattering for my eye colour. I ran it under my eye as well, fairly heavily and topped it with a bit of Sex Kitten, for sort of a reverse effect. 


In the very center of my eyelids, I tapped a touch of MAC Naked Pigment, a soft, sparkly gold-pink fleshtone, for a hint of lightness and glint.

I smudged MAC Smut eyeshadow along my lashline for some definition. Smut is grey brown with burgundy shimmer and it gives a softer definition than a black eyeshadow would. I did have to go over the line a few times to get the effect I wanted however. 


On my waterline, I applied a charcoal grey Tarte EmphasEYES inner rim eye pencil. I don't know the name since it's not on the pencil - grrrrrrr. But I like to use this pencil for my waterline because A) it tends to last longer than others on my waterline; and B) it's a dark grey, not a black so it adds definition without being really dramatic. I opted for dark grey rather than a brown in my waterline because I wanted to pick up the purples and greys in the eyeshadows I'd applied so the look wasn't too warm and brown.

I finished the look with curled lashes and heavy coats of my new favourite mascara - Smashbox Full Exposure Mascara - on my top lashes and Clinique's Bottom Lash Mascara on my lower lashes. 

I kept the rest of my makeup light and natural with an eye on longevity since I was going to be outside for quite a while on a warm day. My blush is Benefit's Coralista, a beautiful soft and glowy coral blush. In these photos my lips are actually bare save for some clear lip balm, but I did end up wearing a tinted lip balm (Burt's Bees) during the day. 





I liked this simple, sultry look and it was perfect for an outdoor music festival. It's not a clean or crisp look so even when I got sweaty and dusty, and my eyes watered, it looked good. It also didn't need touching up, because to be frank, that's not going to happen when I'm out in a field listening to music. 

What do you think? Would you wear this look?

C.

No comments:

Post a Comment