Thursday, August 13, 2015

Makeup Revolution Iconic 3 Palette Photos, Reviews and Swatches



I was in Scotland recently and while there picked up a few of the Makeup Revolution eyeshadow palettes. Makeup Revolution is one of a few British makeup brands that do dupes for higher end products. While I was there I picked up three palettes: the Iconic 2 and 3 palettes and a 32-shade palette. You can see my review of the Makeup Revolution Iconic 2 palette here

In this post, we'll look at the Iconic 3 palette which is a dupe for the Urban Decay Naked 3 palette. It cost me £4. The Naked palettes cost $64 CDN each. 

My apologies for the first two photos in this post. I'd neglected to take photos of the palette before I swatched it, so apologies for the non-pristine quality!

The Iconic 3 palette is 12 shades of warm mainly-neutrals, a mix of mattes, satins and shimmers. As with the Iconic 2 palette, I do not own the Urban Decay Naked 3 palette so I cannot do a swatch-by-swatch comparison of Iconic 3 and Naked 3. You can see one here, if you're so inclined. 

While the Naked 3 eyeshadow shades are named, the Iconic 3 shades are not, so I will number them (1-12), as I did in my review of the Iconic 2 palette.


But first, here they are swatched together on my arm. My skintone is NW15. 


From left to right the shades range roughly from lightest to darkest. The shades in this palette are in the rose-gold family for the most part, with some copper and purple. It's a predominantly warm-toned palette.


Shade #1 is barely noticeable swatched on my arm. It's a matte pale white-pink shade, and pretty close to my skintone. Pigment is decent.

Shade #2 is a metallic light-medium pink. It's quite glitter-heavy but it is lovely. There's a dustiness to it and a bit of fall-out but if applied with a damp brush, it's fine.


Shade #3 is similar to Shade #2 but peachier and less shimmery. A very wearable shade with good pigment. 

Shade #4 is one of the matte shades in the palette and it's a dusty rose with a creamy texture and average pigment. 


Shade #5 is a beautiful rose gold with lots of shimmer. It has a creamy texture and it applies beautifully.

Shade #6 is a medium copper tone with lots of shimmer. Even though it's glittery, it's got a good, smooth texture and it's quite pigmented.


Shade #7 is rosy plum, or a pink-beige-plum. It's quite creamy and highly pigmented. 

Shade #8 lacks a bit in pigment but can be built-up. It's a lovely, shimmery rose-brown with a bit of gold to it. 


Shade #9 is gorgeous, warm medium red-brown with gold shot through it. It's a shimmery shade, with good pigmentation and creamy texture. 

Shade #10 is a darker version of Shade #9. More brown and less warm and silvery so it reads a little on the grey side. The texture is a bit dry so it goes on sheer, but it can be built up, and you'll want to. such a lovely shade.


Shade #11 is a medium-dark purple taupe, with red tones and silvery shimmer. It has excellent pigmentation and a creamy texture. 

Shade #12 is a blackened brown with red shimmer. This is one that needs a bit of layering to build as it's a touch on the dry side. 

Overall, the quality of the Iconic 3 eyeshadows is a touch better than those in the Iconic 2 palette. Very few of the shades were disappointing. This is an excellent palette for those with green and blue eyes as the rosy-gold shades will enhance cool tones. 

The Iconic 3 palette is a pretty close dupe to the Naked 3 palette, from what I've been able to see online. Because it's a fraction of the cost, I'm happy to forgo a slightly lesser quality.

Here is a look I did using the Iconic 3 palette.


I applied shade #5 to my entire lid, up to my crease. I then applied shade #7 through my crease, blending it into the lid shade. 


Using an angle brush, I smudged shade #12 along my upper lashline focusing on the outer third. I used what was left on the brush to smudge it down along the outer third of my lower lashline.


In the inner corner of my eye, I popped a tiny bit of shade #2 and also pressed some of it to the center of my lid for a bit of glow. 


I don't love this palette as much as I love the Iconic 2 palette. While the quality of the eyeshadows in both palettes are quite similar (some great, some not so great), I don't tend to wear a lot of pink on my eyes. Iconic 3 is a dupe for the Urban Decay Naked 3 palette and I am glad I didn't give in to the rose gold frenzy and buy it, because I wouldn't have liked or used it much, judging by how much I like the shades in this palette. I find there are a few too many similar shades and not enough dark shades. Also, there is a lot of pink and I don't gravitate to pink for my eyes. 

But I don't regret buying it. It was £4 and I will get some wear out of it. Just not as much as the Iconic 3 palette!

Grade: B

No comments:

Post a Comment