Monday, October 22, 2012

FOTD: Angelina Jolie (making round eyes look narrower)



Angelina Jolie is one of the most beautiful women in the world, known for her full lips, cheekbones and seductive, feline eyes. 

If you look closer, however, you might notice that her eyes are actually quite round. She uses a simple makeup trick to give herself that seductive, narrow eye shape.


Sam from Pixiwoo did this video demonstrating the technique that Angelina Jolie uses to make her round eyes more narrow. 


I was intrigued and decided to try it out. It's become one of my favourite tricks! I love how simple and sophisticated it is and it does indeed make my round eyes look narrower.





You can watch the Pixiwoo tutorial for the full instructions but here's a breakdown of how I got the look:

Base: Garnier Skin Renew BB Cream in Light/Medium all over my face, applied with a foundation brush. MAC Studio Finish Concealer in NW20 mixed with Vasanti Oil-Free Liquid Foundation and Concealer in V1 under my eyes, applied with my foundation brush and fingers. Concealer was also applied to any red areas that needed it with the foundation brush. I applied powder lightly to set it with a powder brush.

I filled in my eyebrows lightly with MAC Sketch eyeshadow and an angle brush, brushing through with an eyebrow comb. Note: I am trying to let my brows grow out a little, so they look a little shaggy.




For the eyes, I applied MAC Vanilla eyeshadow all over my lids, a bit heavier on the lid than at the brow. I used a fluffy eyeshadow brush. For a touch of definition at the crease, I applied MAC Wedge eyeshadow with a crease brush and buffed it out almost completely with a fluffy eyeshadow brush. The eyes should look natural and soft, barely touched with eyeshadow. With a thin eyeliner brush (BDellium 708) I applied MAC Fluidline in Blacktrack to the outer corners of my upper eyelids, starting about a third of the way in on the eyelid and extending it slightly beyond the outer corner. 

I curled my lashes with my Shu Uemera eyelash curler and applied Diorshow mascara in Black, focusing on the outer corners. Then I added corner false eyelashes (MAC) using Duo lash glue and let them dry in place. 




I applied MUFE Aqua Eyes liner in 10L (an antique gold shade) to my waterline, smudging it slightly into the lashline. This helps to give definition to the eye but unlike using a black or dark colour, the soft gold emphasizes but doesn't close the eye in. As Sam explains in the video above, this look works because it doesn't completely circle the eyes. If the liquid eyeliner was extended all the way across the top lashline, it would emphasize the roundness/make the eye look rounder. With the liner just on the outer corners, the eyes are narrowed on the outside, creating an almond, or narrower shape. 


To complete the look, I applied MAC blush in Stunner on the apples of my cheeks, blending it up towards my temples. On my lips I'm wearing Becca lipstick in Estella. It softens the natural pink of my lips and adds sheen without giving me a completely nude lip. This way it's my eyes that stand out.



For comparison, here's another photo of me to show my naturally round eyes. No attempts here to de-emphasize the roundness!




2 comments:

  1. Wow! You got it girl! You look gorgeous. I love your make up for it looks light and natural. I will try this out.

    ReplyDelete