Tuesday, July 28, 2015

BECCA x Jaclyn Hill Champagne Pop Shimmering Skin Perfector Review, Swatches & Photos

Let's talk about hype - you know the kind where every blogger is ranting and raving about a certain product to the extent that it sells out practically before it hits the shelves and causes websites to crash and burn upon launching. Well there was that type of excitement about the BECCA x Jaclyn Hill Shimmering Skin Perfector collaboration Champagne Pop (LE, $46.00 CA). Of course, Jaclyn Hill is a famous YouTube beauty blogger with over 1 million subscribers, who is known for her full face glamorous makeup looks and bubbly personality.

Full admission - I don't follow Jaclyn Hill on YouTube, I actually just stumbled upon her recently and while doing that happened to see one of her videos where she talked about her BECCA collaboration. I'm a huge highlighter aficionado and I love BECCA's Shimmering Skin Perfectors so that predilection alone made me want this product! So let me preface this review by stating that I did not buy Champagne Pop because of Jaclyn Hill's name but bought it because I'm hardcore highlighter junkie and I was curious as to whether it would live up to the hype. 

BECCA x Jaclyn Hill Champagne Pop

Champagne Pop comes in a bronze-gold bubble embossed box with Jaclyn Hill's signature featured on the front. The packing of the product itself is in standard BECCA packaging. Champagne Pop is described as a "soft white gold with peachy pink undertones" - the only thing I would add to that description is that it is a mid tone highlighter as it is neither very light or dark. Photos in natural light on NC40 skin.


BECCA x Jaclyn Hill Champagne Pop (heavy swatch left, sheer swatch right)

Champagne Pop is silky smooth and buttery to the touch. As it is very highly pigmented, a light touch is necessary unless you are going for a strong metallic look. It applies and blends well and lasts on my combination skin all day. I don't own all the shades of the pressed Shimmering Skin Perfectors, but I would say based on my experience Champagne Pop performs as well as any other in the range.

I think a big pro for this product is that it's medium tone makes it wearable across a large spectrum of skin tones. I know Jaclyn Hill designed this shade with that purpose in mind and I commend her for achieving that. The only con I can think of (besides the price point) is that Champagne Pop's colour is not that unique. Many bloggers have pointed out that it is very similar to the Balm's Mary Loumanizer and BECCA's Opal. And while side-by-side swatches of these products reveal visible differences in colour, I feel that when sheerly applied on the face these differences would be negligible at best.

To address the topic of the price point, all of BECCA's pressed Shimmering Skin Perfectors all retail for $46.00 CA for 8.0 grams of product. Though this is definitely on the expensive side, a little of this product goes a very long way and as such this product will last a very long time.

So does Champagne Pop live up to the hype? In my opinion this is a beautiful, well formulated highlighter that is very nice to have but not absolutely necessary, particularly if you already have a good highlighter collection. If you are looking for an excellent highlighter and this is still available, and you aren't sticker shy, then by all means pick it up! I wager you will not be disappointed. Champagne Pop is exclusive to Sephora, it is currently listed as out of stock online but may be available in-store.

Grade: A






No comments:

Post a Comment