Tuesday, February 25, 2014

Colour Story: Chartreuse for Spring 2014

Is it spring yet where you are dear reader?

Where I live I predict we still have a solid month of winter left and I'm officially sick of having to wear hiking boots and two layers of socks all the time.

Recently in a bid to brighten my outlook on life/delude myself into thinking spring is imminent, I procured a new handbag. Although I have never mentioned it on the blog before I am a fairly serious bag aficionado! As an artist who always gets dirty at work, I often resort to black or grey clothes which won't get ruined by ink, paint or charcoal stains. And because my day-to-day wardrobe is monochromatic black, I always love to add some "pop" to my look with a brightly coloured bag.

My newest bag is the Coach Minetta in Acid Green. I had to convince myself with the help of a good friend that buying a chartreuse handbag wasn't a frivolous purchase destined to be outdated in a year...Well let's be honest, it was completely a frivolous purchase because I need a new handbag like I need a hole in the head. However, I feel confident with my colour choice because my accessories are where I "branch out" stylistically - the more statement making the accessory the better in my opinion. Plus, my good friend bought the same bag in chestnut and I couldn't very well have the exact same bag as her!



 Coach Minetta bag in Acid Green

Anyways, the bold colour of the bag made me think of examples of chartreuse in makeup. Despite the fact that Pantone has named Radiant Orchid as the Colour of the Year for 2014, chartreuse is holding it's own this season.


Clockwise from left: MAC Pigment in Chartreuse Bouquet, Butter London Nail Lacquer in Dosh,
 and Max Factor X Wild Shadow Pencil #10.


Max Factor X Wild Shadow Pencil # 10 was purchased at Boots Pharmacy (LE, £4.99) when I was in London this summer. This gel shadow pencil doubles as a liner and has a smooth, creamy texture whichsetsafter a minute. It has good pigmentation and a touch of grey in the golden green shade gives it a softer, subtler look. Very pretty. 

Grade: B+

MAC Pigment in Chartreuse Bouquet reviewed here is a bright, medium chartreuse frost with gold micro glitter and great colour payoff wet or dry. Chartreuse Bouquet is still available online or at your local counter.

Grade: A


Max Factor X Wild Shadow Pencil #10 and  MAC Pigment in Chartreuse Bouquet (dry/wet)


Butter London Nail Lacquer in Dosh (LE, $17.00 CA) was originally released in 2011, but is still available at Nail Polish Canada. Aptly described by BL as “a molten apple green shot 
through with metallic gold", Dosh is a very unique medium chartreuse polish loaded with silver and gold shimmer. It applies fairly sheer, so three coats are needed for full opacity. I found it also dried down about two tones darker than it appears in the bottle.
Grade: B+



Butter London Dosh


Are you liking chartreuse for spring?

J

No comments:

Post a Comment