Wednesday, March 31, 2010

Olay Professional Exfoliating Renewal Cleanser


Sent to us for review is a new product from Olay - the Olay Professional Pro-X Exfoliating Renewal Cleanser. (See our review of the Olay Professional Pro-X Restorative Cream Cleanser here.) The Pro-X Exfoliating Renewal Cleanser has a lathering microbead formula that gently exfoliates and removes dirt and make-up. It's meant to be used 2-3 times a week for optimal results but is gentle enough to be used every day if your skin needs it. The Olay Professional Pro-X Exfoliating Renewal Cleanser comes in a 177 mL size and costs $28.99.

For the purpose of this review, we each used the Exfoliating Renewal Cleanser for a week.

We will again be using our 5 point scale to rate and review this product.  To read a full description of the scale, please visit this post: http://beautysquared.blogspot.com/2009/11/beauty-squared-review-scale.html  

C's Skin: 
I have combination skin that's oily in the T-zone (forehead, nose and chin). When I tried this cleanser it was winter and moderately cold (approximately -15 C). I wear full make-up most days and like a cleanser to wash off all my make-up including my eye make-up. 

J's Skin:
I have combination skin - an oily t-zone and dry cheeks. My skin is not sensitive but is fairly thin. I live in a very dry climate and so my skin tends to get dehydrated and flaky in the winter. I am not prone to breakouts.


C's Review:

Value: 3
This cleanser is pricier than I would normally spend on a cleanser, especially from a drugstore brand and especially for a cleanser that's best used a few times a week. If I was using this every day, the price would be more reasonable.

Application: 5
Despite the face this is an exfoliating cleanser this is not an abrasive cleanser. It is very slightly gritty but very gentle. The scent is mild and pleasant and the lather is creamy but not uncontrollable. 

Effectiveness: 4
Like Jill, I found this to be more drying than the ProX Restorative Cream Cleanser but not at all overly drying. I could use this cleanser in the summer when my skin is oilier and needs more exfoliation. It is designed to be used in conjunction with the Restorative Cream Cleanser so perhaps it would be slightly less drying not used every day. 

J's Review: 

Value: 3.5
Seems pretty expensive to me for a drugstore cleanser.

Application: 4
Lathers up quite nicely and has a pleasant scent. Rinses off fairly easily and though it leaves my skin a little tight, is not overly drying.

Effectiveness:  4
I am giving this a lower rating than its sister product the ProX Cream Cleanser not because it cleanses less effectively, but beacuse I don't find exfoliating cleansers very effective at exfoliating. In general I believe exfoliating cleansers are not very effective because people do not spend enough time working the product into the skin. That being said, this product cleanses quite thoroughly.

C & J

Please note that the following product up for review was sent to us by a PR firm. All the opinions expressed in this review have been made independently and are not in any way affiliated with the company supplying the products or the PR firm we are in touch with.

No comments:

Post a Comment