Wednesday, April 11, 2012

NARS Pure Matte Lipstick in Bangkok Review and Swatches



A Twitter friend recommended NARS' matte lipstick to me recently and I picked up a tube while in New York City in March. 

NARS Pure Matte Lipstick comes in 12 shades. I chose Bangkok, a soft rose, which unbeknownst to me was selected by InStyle as a Best 2011 Shade for Fair Skin. NARS Pure Matte Lipstick retails for $25 US and is 0.07 oz. 




Here's what the NARS website has to say about their pure matte lipstick.

Bright. Bold. Perfectly matte. This super-rich lipstick provides high-impact payoff: an ultra-pigmented, long-wearing formula that glides on effortlessly with comfortable wear.
  • contains wild mango butter, known to provide advanced moisturizing properties to repair dryness and scaling.
  • Long-wearing application
  • Enriched with Vitamin E and açaí oil for antioxidant benefits

Bangkok is certainly not bright or bold but I'd say it fits the rest of the description. It goes on smoothly and feels like almost nothing on, due to the matte texture.



The texture is very creamy and it looks creamy with the slightest glow to it. In the below photos, my skin has more shine to it than the lipstick!

I love the way Bangkok looks, like my lips but better (mlbb). It's polished and natural and very easy to wear. This is not a dry matte lipstick. My lips can feel dry very easily and a heavy lip balm or lipstick texture is most comfortable to me. Matte lipsticks often can be very drying but the newest formulas I've tried (this one, and MAC's Matte Lipstick and MAC's Pro Longwear Lipstick) are very comfortable to wear and as long as my lips are well moisturized when I apply, I can wear these matte lipsticks for hours very comfortably. 



Bangkok is a very pretty, soft pink with a hint of gold. It's very soft so it'd look best on fair skin and lighter skin with cool undertones. On me, it looks very close to my natural lip tone and the natural pink tones in my skin.

I've been wearing this for my daytime work look when I am wearing a slightly smoky eye. It'd work for a nighttime smoky eye look as well. It's soft and sophisticated and more classic than trendy.

What do you think of NARS Pure Matte Lipstick? Do you have a favourite shade? What colour should I check out next?

C.


1 comment:

  1. That's a lovely shade! I love the Pure Matte formula, myself. I only have Mascate, but I have been dying to pick up Valparaiso (from the spring launch) and the new Moscow also looks like my kind of color!

    ReplyDelete