Wednesday, September 5, 2012

butter LONDON Fall 2012: Gobsmacked Review and Photos



I can't help myself, I have to buy at least one colour from each of butter LONDON's collections. Their Fall/Winter 2012 collection features five shades, all in tune with fall's fashion trends. 

Here is Gobsmacked (Brit speak meaning to be totally speechless). butter LONDON is described as a heavily pigmented charcoal grey glitter with a slightly textured finish. 


Here it is on my nails. 

Gobsmacked has an interesting texture, due most likely to all of the glitter in it. It's got ALOT of glitter. I applied three coats. 

It's almost black but with all the silver glitter, it comes across as a charcoal grey. It's certainly a fall/winter colour and edgy. It goes on fairly sheerly and I needed three coats to get it truly opaque. 

The description of "slightly textured" is a bit of an understatement. I'd describe it as very textured. It's also almost matte when dry. A top coat will help bring down the bumpy texture and add shine. In the below photos, I have a top coat on top. It sucks up the top coat, so adding a second coat will make it shinier and smoother. In the below photos, the top coat is a few days old so it's lustre has faded. 


Gobsmacked is a fabulous polish colour, I absolutely love it. It's thick, rich, dramatic, edgy and fun, all at the same time. In certain light, it's super-sparkly too. Irresistible. Like the starriest, blackest night sky you've ever seen. 

In the photos below, I've had it on for two days. I think that it's due to the texture, Gobsmacked is more prone to chipping, as I had it happen after about a day. The bumpiness along the tip of the nail makes it more prone to breakage and wearing. 

Chipping
Texture
This is another stunner from butter LONDON. Original, luxurious and fashion-forward. 

butter LONDON polishes are 3-three, meaning they're free of the toxic ingredients commonly used in nail polishes - Dibutyl Phthalate (DBP), Formaldehyde and Toulene.  There's a more thorough explanation here. When you see that a nail polish brand is 3-three, this is what it refers to.       

butter LONDON polishes retail for about $20 a bottle, so this is an indulgence. I've not come across any dupes for this shade, so if you love how it looks, and will wear it enough to justify the price, check it out!

Grade: A

Stay tuned for my review of butter LONDON's Dodgy Barnett coming soon!


1 comment: