Monday, January 26, 2015

Clarins 3-Dot Liner Review, Swatches and Photos


Considering my extremely large collection of makeup I've accumulated over the years which surveys almost all the major brands (luxury and otherwise), it's extremely rare that I run into a product that is genuinely new to me. Of course, there are always new and better formulations, finishes and countless iterations of established products - but today I have a product that I can honestly say I don't already have a version of.

Clarins' 3-Dot Liner originally launched a few years ago, but it has flown under my radar until recently when I discovered it while perusing the amazing work of professional MUA Robin Black on Beauty is Boring. According to the sales associate that helped me, Clarins has recently updated the formula of the original 3-Dot Liner to be longer lasting.




As it's name suggests, the 3-Dot Liner delivers liquid liner in a 3 dot formation thanks to it's 3 pronged applicator. The formula of liner is a pigmented jet black, with a slightly glossy finish that dries in  20-30 seconds. Clarins 3-Dot Liner is designed to fill in the gaps between your lashes (tight lining), and application could not be easier - you simply dab the applicator as close as possible to your lash line - no extraordinary hand-eye coordination needed!

Below are some before and after photos for your comparison. All photos are taken in natural light. For reference I'm wearing MUFE Full Cover concealer in 8 mixed with MAC Prep + Prime Highlighter in Bright Forecast under eyes and Anastasia Dipbrow Pomade in Ebony in brows.


No liner


Clarins 3-Dot Liner between lashes


Clarins 3-Dot Liner and Maybelline The Falsies Volum' Express 
waterproof mascara in Very Black


Clarins 3-Dot Liner swatched on arm

It should be noted that the liner is fairly liquid, and as you can see on the above swatch on my arm it can bleed slightly if too much product is applied. However, I didn't find this to be much of a problem on my eyes as the skin on the eyelid is smoother and far less textured than skin on the body. I recommend that when applying this to the lash line you allow a few seconds between dabs to ensure you don't get too much wet product on the skin.

As you can see from the before and after photos, the liner really does make a big difference as to the look of the thickness of my lash line. It's precise application allows for a noticeable, and yet natural looking enhancement. Wear time for this product is excellent - I get at least 8 hours of wear without fading. Although this product is not officially waterproof, it is very water resistant and only budges with persistent rubbing when wet. Yesterday I went for a 40 minute run then took a hot shower, making sure to get my face wet (although not rubbing my eyes) and my liner still looked near perfect post shower!

Another big plus for me is this liner never requires sharpening! If you are concerned about the liner (or any liquid liner) drying out, make sure to always tightly cap the liner and store it upside down to avoid tip dry out.

Overall I really love this product, both in terms of concept and execution. Clarins 3-Dot Liner retails for $28.00 CA and also comes in brown. Highly, highly recommended!

Grade: A+


No comments:

Post a Comment