Monday, January 21, 2013

Vichy Lift Activ UV SPF 15 Review and Photos


Vichy Lift Activ UV SPF 15 (50 mL)

What is new about the LiftActiv UV?

To combat the two key causes of aging (sun and internal aging), Vichy created Liftactiv UV. It’s the 1st product to associate the power of 5% Rhamnose, with UVA and UVB filters. Thanks to Rhamnose, which stimulates the Derm Source and thus all 3 layers of the skin, it rejuvenates and protects the skin from the negative effects of the UVA and UVB rays.

What are the key ingredients and how do they work?

H.E.P.E.S. has hydrating and exfoliating properties, which are patented by Vichy.  To give you an idea of its strength, just 5% H.E.P.E.S is as effective as 10% of Glycolic Acid’s exfoliating action.  Additionally, LiftActiv UV contains Rhamnose, Vitamin Cp, Cg, and Vitamin E, which as we discussed have anti-aging and antioxidant properties. It also contains two highly effective UVB filters: Octocrylene and Octisalate.  Additionally it contains long UVA filters Avobenzone / parsol 1789 which are photostabalized by the Octocrylene.  This daily moisturizer has it all – the anti-aging properties one desires and the protection that is essential. 













Jill:
I always wear a day moisturizer that contains sunscreen (my standby is Lancome Bienfait Multi-Vital SPF 30), and like Catherine I find it difficult to find a moisturizer with SPF that doesn't make my combination skin extremely greasy. My first impressions of this cream were not good. It had that weird dry-greasy-slick texture that so many SPF products have. I did find that after massaging the cream in the strange texture abated a bit and my skin felt firmer and very well moisturized. However it did leave my skin, especially my t-zone looking shinier than normal.

My normal post moisturizer routine is to blot my face with a tissue, then apply a mattifier (the now Dc'd Clinique Pore Minimizer T-Zone Shine Control), followed by makeup and then MAC Blot Powder. After this routine my skin looked as matte as usual, although I did find my t-zone looking shinier than it usually does by midday.

The cons of this product is the shiny finish, but the pros are very good moisturization and a firm, smooth feeling to the skin. I am very impressed by the moisturizing properties - usually in the winter I have to layer a heavier cream on top of my usual Lancome day moisturizer. Much to my satisfaction I found this cream kept my skin feeling soft and moist throughout the day, even in -20 C weather!

The other con of this product for me is the lower SPF level. While SPF 15 is better than nothing, I have long read that 30 is the new standard level of protection. In the end, I thought this product was decent despite it's cons. I would recommend this product for the winter, drier climates and to people who aren't put off by shinier than normal skin.

Grade: B

Catherine
I won't wear a day moisturizer without sunscreen and know how hard it is to find one that isn't greasy or heavy, can be worn under makeup and keeps the skin feeling hydrated. Unfortunately, I didn't find that Vichy Lift Activ UV ticked all of those boxes. The texture of the moisturizer is a strange thick and dry texture and it sits rather heavily on my skin. My skin felt soothed and moisturized but face was very, very shiny after application. Compared to other moisturizers that contain SPF, this one felt more like a sunscreen than a moisturizer. Trying to apply makeup on top was a struggle as no products would adhere to the skin and everything ended up looking streaky. And shiny, oh so shiny. Even after blotting it! 

But on the plus side, Vichy Life Activ UV protected my skin from the sun and did keep it hydrated well. It has a light, pleasant fragrance. But I just could not get past how shiny it made my skin. Another thing that I have to be critical about is that Lift Activ UV on has an SPF of 15. That is the absolute minimum everyone should be wearing daily and we really should be wearing SPF 30 daily.

If you have dry or aging skin this perhaps will be a good moisturizer for you. Anyone else, I'd recommend staying away from it. 

Grade: C

*This product was supplied to us from PR for consideration.

No comments:

Post a Comment