Wednesday, March 25, 2015

Anastasia Dipbrow Pomade in Auburn Review, Photos and Swatches


This is a product I didn't intend to blog about, since it's one of those basic products, and therefore, not terrible exciting and I was also distracted at the time I bought it and it honestly didn't cross my mind to. And then I used it for awhile and now I realize it's something you should know about, so here's my review of Anastasia Beverly Hill's Dipbrow Pomade (in Auburn). 

Anastasia Beverly Hills is a beauty company that focuses on eyebrows, and bless them for that! They've got pretty much everything you could possibly need for beautiful brows and they're available at Sephora in Canada (and online).



Anastasia Beverly Hills Dipbrow Pomades are a newish product and they've gained near-cult status among beauty bloggers. The Dipbrow Pomades are described as "Creamy, waterproof brow colour ideal for defining and sculpting precise, smudge-free brows." They come in nine shades - Ash Brown, Auburn, Blonde, Caramel, Dark Blonde, Ebony, Granite, Soft Brown and Taupe. The Dipbrows come in 0.14 oz glass pots and cost about $23 CDN. 


The Dipbrow Pomade shades are all matte and ashy, which is exactly what you want in a brow colour. Of course, if you want a statement brow, go for shimmer and sheen and vibrant shades, but for natural brows, stick with matte and ashy shades. By ashy, I mean colours that have grey to them, muting the intensity of the colour. Brow shades should be ashy in order to look natural. That's (probably) the only makeup product you want to look ashy. 

If you've struggled with finding a product to fill in and define your brows that doesn't fade or smudge, this if worth checking out. A little goes a very long way and it requires careful application, but this little pot will last you a long, long time. 

The photographs of my Anastasia Beverly Hills Dipbrow Pomade in Auburn were taken about four months after I bought it, and I've used it almost every day since then, yet I've used not even a 1/8 of it. 

See:

I'll share with you how I use my Dipbrow Pomade, but here are some other people use it.

Eyebrows with Anastasia Dipbrow Pomade (you'll want to turn the subtitles on for this one): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=olGW92DiJ0s

All About Brow http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VYUgnkI7_Vk

How to Fill in Brows http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G18vN1jjS54

The Dipbrow Pomade is a gel/cream hybrid and they are very, very pigmented. You can absolutely make this work for you if you're wanting a softer, more subtle look as well as if you want a dramatic statement brow. 

Here's how I do it.

I dip a small angle brush into the product, at a very shallow angle. One scoop usually does it. 


Here's the product on my brush. The other end of the brush has a spoolie that I use to brush my brows into place before applying the Dipbrow Pomade and also after to work the product through the hairs and to reshape my brows. 


I spread the Dipbrow Pomade on the back of my hand, and work it into the brush, focusing on the sides of the brush, not the tip and alternating from one side to the other. I do need it on the tip of the brush, but this way allows for just a little product at the tip of the brush. 


Using the sides of the brush, I apply the Dipbrow Pomade gently, starting at the bottom of the hairs and sweeping up. My main goal for using brow products is to change the colour so that my brows match my hair colour better and this allows me to paint my brow hairs with the Dipbrow Pomade. Coating the hairs with Dipbrow also gives them a richer and thicker appearance, making my brows look fuller. Even if I was using a Dipbrow Pomade in a shade that matches my natural brow hairs exactly, I'd use this application technique. 

Dipbrow Pomade dries quite quickly so you should work quickly applying it, and start with a little, adding as you go, because it's challenging to remove once it dries. I find that the Dipbrow Pomade acts a bit like a brow gel too since it dries and ends up holding my brow hairs in place. 

In the photo below, my brows have a natural, unruly appearance. I've been embracing a natural look for awhile now. I should note, too, that my camera seems to make brow products I've used look much more orange than they do in real life as well. If you compare the swatch in the photo above with the orangey parts of my brow below, they don't look like the same product. 

Trust me, my brows don't look orange in real life. Silly camera.


Here's another photo of me with the Dipbrow on. Still slightly orangey, but less so than above. You can see how it helps to tie my brows in with my hair colour. 


And another, in natural light. 


On me, the Dipbrow Pomade lasts until I take it off. I've noticed no fading or smudging, which is pretty exceptional as my skin is quite oily and most makeup fades on me after wearing for some time. 

Since I use my hand as a palette when applying it, there's always a stain after I've finished applying my makeup. Even with soap and water, it lingers, and I actually have to use my fingernail to scratch at it in order to remove it if I'm in a hurry. 

I use an oil cleanser to remove my eye makeup at night and that does the trick as well. 

I've been thinking that I might get a Dipbrow Pomade that matches my natural brow colour so I can draw in tiny brow hairs for a more natural, full brow appearance. Then use the Auburn on top to alter the colour.

I highly, highly recommend checking out the Anastasia Dipbrow Pomades if you're looking for a new brow product. 

You can find them online at Sephora.com or in Sephora stores. The Anastasia Beverly Hills website is here if you'd like to learn more about the brand and their products. 

Grade: A

No comments:

Post a Comment