Wednesday, January 27, 2010

Smoky Eye with Blacktrack Fluidline, Coral and Grey


I love to do a smoky eye when I go out. Here's one that incorporates a bit of colour to make my eyes pop even more and give it a rock n roll edge.


Okay, apologies for the "Blue Steel" look I'm doing here. It was the only good full-face shot I got!


The darkest part of this look is the liner, which I did using MAC Fluidline in Blacktrack for intensity and longevity. If you've never used it before, Fluidline has a gel-like consistency that dries and is almost waterproof. I use it for doing a cat eye that I'd normally use liquid liner for but this was the first time I used it for lining my waterline (I normally use eyeliner pencil). It didn't last completely intact, but it did last much longer than a pencil normally does and it didn't irritate my eyes like pencils tend to.

Fluidlines take more effort to blend than a pencil or a powder as it dries very quickly and doesn't smudge easily. I used a Q-tip to dry out my waterline before applying the Fluidline to help it adhere better.




Here's the step by step to how I did this look.



MAC Fluidline in Blacktrack

First, I used an angle brush I applied Fluidline in Blacktrack to my waterline and my lashline, working it into my lashes. I used a touch of black eyeshadow to fill in any gaps and to smudge the black out.



Smut
I applied Smut eyeshadow on my lid up slightly past my crease, heaviest in the outer corner and crease and slightly below my eye as well.


Full Flame

For a pop of colour, I used Full Flame on my lid, heavier towards the outer corner and lighter as I moved towards the inner corner. I chose a corally colour because warm shades emphasize my blue eyes. If you have brown eyes you can try a purple or a silver shade or a warm brown. If you have green eyes you can use a red or warm burgundy-brown. If you have hazel eyes you can choose any of these shades depending on the tones in your eyes that you want to emphasize.


Cranberry
I wanted a touch more edge to the coral on my lids so I dusted a little bit of Cranberry on top. As you can see, my eyeshadow broke and I'm almost out, but Cranberry is a rich, sparkly red. Use with caution!

The rest of my look:

Lips are MAC Loving Touch See-Thru Lip Colour (similar to a lip stain) and MAC Sugar Trance Lipglass.

Blush is MAC Strada applied to the hollows of my cheeks and MAC Silver Dusk Iridescent Powder on the tops of my cheekbones.

I used Benefit Moon Beam along my browbone and down onto the tops of my cheekbones. Bare Escentuals Foundation and Mineral Veil is my base, Maybelline concealer and Bare Escentuals Buxom mascara in Black.

C.

2 comments:

  1. what a fab look. smut is one of my favorites, but I hadn't thought to pair it this way. I don't have full flame, but I think MAC just put out a new coral from their PRO line.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks! I am new to Smut but I love-love-love it! I don't wear Full Flame very often as I can only wear it with other colours - otherwise I look ill. It's very pretty though, very soft.

    C.

    ReplyDelete