Tuesday, April 26, 2011

Burt's Bees Beeswax & Royal Jelly Eye Cream and Evening Primrose Overnight Creme Review


We've received a request to feature more natural products on Beauty Squared, so here's a review of two Burt's Bees products - the Burt's Beeswax & Royal Jelly Eye Creme and the Burt's Bees Evening Primrose Overnight Creme. *It should be noted that neither of these products come up on the Burt's Bees website. It's possible that they're being phased out but I'm not sure.

Of course, it is widely known that Clorox bought Burt's Bees in 2007, a move that was clearly designed to change the consumer view of Clorox, but which has probably affected Burt's Bees more negatively.

Regardless, the ingredients lists on both of these products appears to be very natural and both products are described as highly natural - the eye cream at 96.2% natural and the overnight creme at 100% natural. It should be known that just because products have the word natural on them does not mean that they are. It's always good to do research on these natural products to ensure you're not being duped.

Ingredients listings
There are some ingredients here that you may have to look up, but for the most party they're identifiable as straightforward, natural ingredients. 


I did a bit of research (a good idea if you're aiming to buy products with natural ingredients) on Evening Primrose Oil and Royal Jelly and here's what I found out.

Evening Primrose Oil is rich in ingredients good for aging, dry and rough skin. 
  • It mainly helps in the rejuvenating process of your skin.
  • It can help in producing anti aging affect for your skin and gradually reduces the wrinkles and fine lines on your skin.
  • Evening primrose oil lightens the dark circles around your eyes and gradually minimizes the tired look of your eyes.
  • By using this oil, your skin can improve firmness and gets better elasticity. It also helps your body in producing required new skin cells.
  • You can use this evening primrose oil to reduce the skin blemishes and visible skin redness and promotes good coloration for your skin.
  • Evening primrose oil also helps to smooth out the rough skin and helps in hydrating dry skin.
Royal Jelly:
  • was used by the ancient Egyptians to keep their skin moisturized and protected.
  • is used as a powerful anti-aging solution. 
  • has strong antibacterial properties.
  • is effective in managing eczema, neurodermatitis and impetigo.
  • helps to restore a pH balance in the skin.


Both products come in glass bottles - the Royal Jelly Eye Creme is in large lip-balm style glass jar and the Evening Primrose Overnight Creme comes in an elegant frosted glass pot.


Evening Primrose Overnight Creme is a thick, rich moisturizer. As with many "natural" cosmetics products it takes a little while to get used to applying and wearing this. The texture is thick and needs to be worked in your hands before applying to your face. There are also small bits of product that melt when you work it in a little with your fingers. Less is more with this. I let it soften in my hands and then pressed my hands against my face to apply it and also patted it into harder to reach areas with my fingers.


After you apply it your face you'll see and feel the richness. This doesn't absorb readily but it is a night cream so it's not a big deal. I prefer a night cream that feels like it's heavy and intensive and a day cream that you forget is there. 

The Evening Primrose Overnight Creme is too heavy to put on my combination skin year round but in the winter it's a lovely treat once a week. My skin feels very smooth in the morning and it looks more even-toned. Any dryness is completely gone. For skin that's dry year-round, I'd recommend this. For skin that experiences dryness infrequently or in the cold, dry months or if you live in a dry climate, you could use this nightly or regularly.

One thing I have to say about both of these products is the way they're packaged. My preference is that products you apply to your face, particularly moisturizers should not be in containers you need to dip your fingers into. One reason for this is that any germs and bacteria on your fingers or under your nails will be transferred into the product that you're now smearing on your face. Also, when products, especially ones that are largely natural begin to change when they're exposed to the air, even in limited amounts. So when you take off the lid, dip your fingers in and apply a moisturizer, that product still in the container is being exposed to the air and is changing. It'll dry out quicker and may become less effective as time goes on. I prefer moisturizers that are in pumps, so they're not exposed to the air at all.

Burt's Bee's Beeswax and Royal Jelly Eye Cream is a rich, thick eye cream. The texture is thicker than the Evening Primrose Overnight Creme which is good. Thicker means it will stay on the skin, allowing it to absorb, instead of easily being wiped away or melting off.



I liked this eye cream, it did everything I wanted an eye cream to do. It went on easily and because of it's thickness, I wasn't tempted to rub it in to my delicate eye area. Sometimes when I'm tired I rush through my night routine and rubbing your eye area is the worst! I have to force myself to slow down and pat in eye creams to reduce the wear on the skin around my eyes. It's so hard sometimes!

This is most definitely a nighttime eye cream. It's far too heavy to wear during the day. I liked that it soothed the skin under my eyes which feels tight after washing my face at night but it was still there in the morning and my skin felt fresh and smooth and very healthy. 

I recommend both of these products if you're looking for more natural products and something that really feels like it's working.

Have you ever tried any Burt's Bees products? Let us know what you think!

C.

1 comment:

  1. I just wanted to post a quick message on this particular blog article telling you that it's posts like these that keep me and like other people excited about your content and williing to visit often.

    ReplyDelete