Sunday, April 10, 2011

FOTD: Lanvin Fall Runway Look




The Lanvin Fall/Winter runway show featured a simple but dramatic makeup look. The face was clean and naturally matte with no blush and lip colour. The drama comes from the thick black eyeliner/shadow on the eyes. I loved the simplicity but edge of it so I tried to recreate the look.


I came close, but I think I came too far across my lids with the black. It's more geometric and graphic than the Lanvin look but it's close. I used the MAC Greasepaint stick in black which gives a drier look than I wanted. A black cream shadow would be ideal for this but I do like the strong graphic nature of this eye look.




I used no eyeshadow, only the Greasepaint stick and a bit of Benefit Moonbeam on my brow bone. 


The Greasepaint sticks can be challenging to work with. They dry very quickly and stay put once they do. You have to work fast with them and I've made the mistake of layering too much on. It can flake on you as time goes on and can feel tight and heavy on the skin if you've got too much on. So with this look, I drew on the basic shape and used a thin, flat brush (it's actually a lip brush) to make the shape more solid and to get it down close to my lashline.

 









The trick is to make the line as thick as the width of your eyelid. I opted to end the line with a point as if it's a liquid eyeliner effect rather than the squared-off end on the Lanvin models. You can opt to square-off the end if you try this look. See what works for your eye shape.

What I like so much about this look is that it doesn't look very dramatic with my eyes open but with my eyes closed, the graphic nature of the effect is evident. 





For the rest of my makeup:
  • Olay Total Effects 7-in-1 Anti-Aging moisturizer
  • Sally Hansen Natural Beauty Inspired by Carmindy Air Brush Spray Make-up
  • Vasanti liquid cover-up
  • Korres Wild Rose Compact powder





My mascara was L'Oreal Voluminous mascara and Clinique Bottom Lash mascara.



My lips were bare and although I could've used just a bit of lip balm, the natural pigment of them would've been too much for this look. Instead I left them as they were, with a bit of foundation on them and used a tiny bit of JoeFresh lip stain in Grapefruit just on the inside of my lips for a slight stained effect.






There you have it! A simple, graphic FOTD. Let us know what you think!


C.

2 comments:

  1. in this look it's all about eyeshadow. I see there mac naked pigment as a base and some black for this eyeliner look, but it's all smudge not really harsh lines.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, my look was more graphic than the Lanvin look. I like both!

    ReplyDelete